I am starting to question my sanity about why the heck we moved to "Winter for 5 months, MN" or better yet why I got a job 45mins to an hour drive away when I should have been trying one of those work from home jobbers!
This rant is stemming from my little adventure on my way home tonight. Of course we are getting the crappy snow/wind that most other people are getting as well and we're getting it faster than the plows can move it.
I was about 3 minutes outside of the last town before the one that I live in and came up behind a car in the right lane.
The left lane seemed to be clear for a little ways so I decided it was time to pass the guy. As soon as I got in the left lane and accelerated a little to pass him the little twerp sped up so that I couldn't get over. I sped up a lil more and glanced next to me to see where he was by my passenger area. When I look back at the road there is a pile of snow in most of my lane and since he was next to me I couldn't try and clip it- I had to run over the whole pile.
Then I started fish tailing and trying to get my car back under control. While I'm doing this I notice the twerp I was trying to pass had sped up again (who could blame him this time) then I started to spin out and was trying to do the wheel turning thing (usually I'm a natural when it comes to this part) and ended up facing the way I had come right before sliding backwards into the ditch.
Luckily there were no other cars around and I ended up with my front end on the shoulder and my back end stuck in the snow. Not a fun experience. But my car did not flip and other than the engine shutting off and the smell of rubber everything seemed okay. After a couple of tries my car started back up again and I tried to rock my way out of the ditch. Not happening.
The left lane seemed to be clear for a little ways so I decided it was time to pass the guy. As soon as I got in the left lane and accelerated a little to pass him the little twerp sped up so that I couldn't get over. I sped up a lil more and glanced next to me to see where he was by my passenger area. When I look back at the road there is a pile of snow in most of my lane and since he was next to me I couldn't try and clip it- I had to run over the whole pile.
Then I started fish tailing and trying to get my car back under control. While I'm doing this I notice the twerp I was trying to pass had sped up again (who could blame him this time) then I started to spin out and was trying to do the wheel turning thing (usually I'm a natural when it comes to this part) and ended up facing the way I had come right before sliding backwards into the ditch.
Luckily there were no other cars around and I ended up with my front end on the shoulder and my back end stuck in the snow. Not a fun experience. But my car did not flip and other than the engine shutting off and the smell of rubber everything seemed okay. After a couple of tries my car started back up again and I tried to rock my way out of the ditch. Not happening.
I grabbed my phone and called my mom on her cell phone. It goes right to voice mail. Great. So I hang up and dial again. This time she answers and said she just tried to call me and it went right to my voice mail (talk about ESP, eh?!). She asked what I was doing and I told her sitting in the ditch and she thought that I was joshing her. After a minute or two she decided I was really stuck in the ditch and would have to tow me out with her gutsy blazer but it would be a while.
All during our discussion there were all sorts of vehicles driving by. Semis, cars, blazers, vans and the ones I noticed most were all of those pick up trucks. Most of them rubber necked at me but not one of them stepped on the brake or acted like they thought about helping.
I was starting to worry I might get T-boned on my driver side because some of the cars coming my way were passing in the same spot where I wiped out and looked like they were having trouble too. Not to worry though I loosened it up for them and I was the only one who ended up in the ditch.
Finally I see a pickup truck that had been driving the other direction get in the turning lane and flip around. He pulled on the shoulder in front of my car and pulled a tow rope out of the bed and hooked it to my car. I thanked him for pulling over to help (I was so happy I coulda kissed the guy!) he was really modest and just smiled and went back to his truck. I got back in my car and stuck it in drive and was out. I was going to try and get out of my car to thank him again when he was taking off the tow rope and offer him some money or something but a string of cars were coming. He nodded at me, waved, got back in his truck and drove away.
I didn't get a name or anything.
I have decided that if the roads are like that tomorrow (or if I really hurt my car) I will just stay home and have a three day weekend, darn it!
Anyway thanks for reading my rant time to go feed some horses. :)

3 comments:
I'm glad your OK. I had to be pulled out of a snow bank once. I had to walk to call for help though in high heels. (It was before cell phones).
That must have been the Lone Ranger who rescued you.
Wow. What a nice guy. I'm sorry you have so much snow though. Glad you're okay!!
I am surprised someone didn't pull over right away and help you...maybe that "Minnesota Nice" stuff is fading...glad you are ok.
Post a Comment