Thursday, April 30, 2009

Shoni's 2nd "ride"

Last Saturday was a nice sunny day and I spent the afternoon grooming the horses. They all ate it up but Shoni enjoyed it the most. She kept chasing Tabasco away when I brushed on him or she pinned me in between the two of them so that I had to brush two horses at once or be squished!
Once I was done she decided to chomp on the brushes. Her favorite was the comb (maybe since it fit in her mouth so well?). I managed to snap off a couple of pictures with it hanging out of her mouth before I had to take the comb away because she was vigorously brushing the ground with it.
A little later in the afternoon the wind kicked up and cooled things down a little. I fed the horses and was planning on going inside when I noticed that Shoni was eating her hay right next to the panels. I decided to play with her a little by climbing on the panel and putting my leg over her back. She didn't say boo. After a little bit of that I decided to be bold an actually "sit" on her. I had my foot and hand still on the panel in case I needed to bale (especially since she wasn't wearing a halter or anything) but she still didn't care. Then I took my foot off of the panel (but was still holding on with my hand) and got to enjoy sitting on her for the first time. She even let me lean down on her to rub her neck and chest. We worked on that for about 10 minutes then my neighbor came riding down the driveway on his horse so it was time to call it a day since the horses got all excited.

On Tuesday I weaseled mom into coming outside with me to take my picture on Shoni and see if I could climb on her again. Shoni was more crabby that day (she didn't get pampered this time) but she still let me climb up. I was nervous to take my foot off of the panel because she kept stepping away from it and I didn't want to get stuck on her or scare her if I had to climb down. She did great though.




We are hoping to get the round pen back from the neighbors Sunday so I can start working with the horses again. I'm really excited about getting it set up so that I can actually separate the horses to work on them one on one. It's hard working with horses around each other because horses are so nosey and like to be right there to lend moral support.


A self portrait of me and Shoni. Look how grey her face has gotten! I bet in a couple of months she will look completely black again.

7 comments:

April said...

My horses are the same way - I can't go into the pasture and focus on just grooming one, I have to do two at a time. Such boogers!

That's awesome you're sitting on Shoni! She is really gorgeous and the smile on your face shows how much you love her. :)

Congratulations!

arlene said...

Wow, that must have been so fun! She's such sweet horse. Your both very pretty.

Andrea -Mustang Saga said...

What fun! You've got yourself a good horse there.

photogchic said...

Cool...you got to sit on my favorite blue roan...cute pic of you both. Continued success:-)

Linda said...

What a great way to start out--seeing someone UP there is usually half the problem! Are you going to ride her bareback first?

Pony Girl said...

What a great step! :) I like how your foot on the panel just in case, I would have done that too! She's a beautiful mare!

Karen C. said...

Oh my gosh, how exciting! Shoni is beautiful! I can't wait to see how she sheds out...I love how their colors change by season.

I love your self portrait too! :-) I am a huge fan of self portraits...can't help it, just happens!

You and Shoni are beautiful together!