Sunday, February 24, 2008

Busy Days


Above: Sundance (Missouri Fox Trotter)


Soooooo it was a very productive day! I got Sundance's bridal path trimmed (that was long over due!). Of course I couldn't see very well since he likes to hold his head up so high and I don't have a step stool (he probably wouldn't let me use it anyway!) so it probably looks awful and uneven! But it is nice having it done and makes it easier to halter him. At least I wont be pulling his hair!!!


Then we got all five horses loaded on the horse trailer! Yey, go us!!! We have to work on the trailer loading since the hauling company will be here in two weeks and it has been a while since the horses have been on a trailer. The hauling company only gives you so much time to load them and if any refuse to load they will leave them behind. We want to see how they will do so we got Pebbles first and she loaded within 5-10 mins. Then we loaded Sweetie. She loaded in 1 min. She walked right in like a trooper! These two have not been in a trailer since August 1998!!! Pretty good for not loading in 10 years, eh?! Next we loaded Tabasco and he followed me into the trailer like a pro! I didn't even have to bribe him!!! lol We stood in there a couple of minutes and I gave him some hay and he just looked around and ate. Good enough for me time to get off of the trailer. I try to get him to back up and nothing. That horse would not budge! I push on his chest. Nothing! Hmmm I wonder how long the haulers give you to unload a horse? Finally he gets off of the trailer and we get Shoni. We worked with Shoni for almost an hour before she would load. She would get her front feet on the trailer and inch up then back out again. I finally got her to load by using cookies as the reward every time she took a step. Last but not least was Sundance. He was pretty jumpy but loaded like a pro as well. Only mild hesitation then in he went. Whew! I'm glad that part is over! Now we have a couple of weeks to work with Shoni a little more and get her familiar with the trailer.


Above: Tabasco (BLM Mustang)


Lastly, today we took down some of the panel fencing to move it to MN and get that area set up for the horses. It will be a temporary set up for them. When the ground thaws we will be putting up a permanent fence. Hahaha we're going to be pretty busy for a while. Tabasco and Shoni were running around like crazy horses when we started moving the panels. They were bummed that some of their pen was taken down. No worries tho since it is only temporary! If only you could explain that to them tho, right?


Above/Below: Shoni (BLM Mustang)



3 comments:

Andrea -Mustang Saga said...

Congrats on the trailer loading! It's so nice when they load well. Sounds like you're going to be very busy for a while!

Oh, and I love the halter on Sundance, it looks really good on him.

thepowerguides said...

Thanks for commenting on Callies Blog , I must admit the best way I have found of finding new horse blogs to add is to check with a number of Blogs and those who comment

Steve

Rising Rainbow said...

The trailer loading sounds like it went pretty well. But moving five horses sounds like a real challenge to me. Good luck with that.