Sunday was a nice day so I decided to work with Sundance. I brought him in the round pen and groomed him for a while. Then I went and grabbed a feed bucket and flipped it over to see if I could get on him bareback. He didn't want to stand still for that and he's too spooky (and tall) for me to jump so I brought in the saddle. He got tacked up and I led him into the center of the pen to climb on. I sat on him for a minute then asked him to walk. He took maybe three steps then decided to throw a hissy fit.
He tucked his head into his chest and started bucking. I was trying to hang on and pull his head up to no avail (it didn't help that he was only wearing a rope halter). Lucky for me it wasn't rodeo horse bucking but more like crow hopping and he was staying in place. He finally started to calm down but I was pretty mad that he did it in the first place and I wasn't thinking. While still sitting on him, I made the mistake of yelling at him about his tantrum and that threw him into another fit.Sundance finally calmed down again and I was able to climb down. He has never done anything like that before so I started thinking that maybe something with the saddle or the pad was bothering him so I removed the saddle before he could go off again. I asked him to run around the round pen a couple of laps, switch directions, then we worked on hooking on. He did great with that and was following me around and paying attention. I brought the saddle back in and put it back on him and lead him around a few times. He did fine no buck or anything. I was talking to mom about it and ran my hand along the back end of the saddle and he acted like he was going to go off again (maybe I bumped it?). He calmed down and we stood there for a couple of minutes before I took off the saddle again.
He's worn this saddle and pad many times before and has never had this problem. I don't know what to do at this point. I'm beyond frustrated and I keep asking myself what the heck I am doing with three green horses. I am not a trainer and I like nice, relaxing, uneventful rides- not run away horses or broncs! I am so frustrated and am about ready to start thinking about finding one or more of them new homes and just getting an old broke "been there done that" type horse... but I love my three too much to do that and I guess we are just doomed until we get it worked out. *sigh*
The day didn't end all bad though, we let the horses out in the field to graze for an hour and I got a cute 35 second video of Shoni that cracks me up. :)
4 comments:
How long has Sundance had off (when was the last time you rode him?) Maybe he's just a little sour from not being ridden recently? He might just need a little tune-up.
And I couldn't see the video of Shoni...not sure if it's my computer or the upload.
Did you lunge him a little with the saddle on beforehand. Sometimes they're cold-backed. Good for you for staying on!
I think we have all been there with our horses...I almost put a "free horse" ad in the paper! Hang in, be safe but get a sense of humor about it, get to the bottom of "why" he is doing that and plug away. Your horses are beautiful...don't give up on them, the reward for working through things with them creates such an amazing bond. Good luck girl...we are all rooting for you.
Post a Comment