Wednesday, June 17, 2009

A Beautiful Weekend

Last weekend was absolutely beautiful. We have been gradually letting the horses graze in the big field for the last couple of weeks. On Sunday Mom opened the gate and let Pebbles, Sweeite, and Sundance out to graze for their morning meal. They stayed out there for 3 hours and after that they willingly went back into their pen to take a nap. Grazing is hard work ya know!


Then it was Tabasco and Shoni's turn. I put their halters on and Tabasco (aka pest) tried to lead Shoni around by hers (poor girl). I finally had to shoo him away then we opened the gate and just let them find their way to the big field. They were nervous at first and stuck together like glue. Once in the big field one turned right and the other went left but they stayed in site of each other and the big horses.

Tabasco had to investigate the building right away. He peaked in the door and sniffed the concrete, then decided that was enough and walked away.

Finally they realized the grass is taller on the other side of the building and mosied that way.

They walked.



They grazed.

They snorted.
AND..... they were startled when Shoni stirred up a duck!

Maybe it is safer to stand on that mowed path that runs down the center of the field?
And then Tabasco spotted....
THE HAYRAKE!
Hey walked right up to it...
...and sniffed the metal seat.
No big deal, time to eat!
"Am I in heaven?"
Now it's time to head back towards home.
But not before playing "King of the Mountain!" or maybe it was "Peek Aboo!"?
The big horses woke up from their naps and wished they could go back out and play with the babies.
Maybe next time we will be brave and put all five together for the first time. *insert nail biting here*

3 comments:

Linda said...

I love your pictures!! They're doing great and it would take them a lifetime to eat all that food!

Pony Girl said...

Great pictures of their big adventure! I loved how Tabasco walked right up to that rake. Curious horses are less spooky, I think! What kind of grass is that in the field?

nikki said...

Linda- It's nice having grass/pasture that they can graze on. In CO it was so deserty and dry that the field burned up later in the season and it was hard to grow anything.

Pony Girl- I agree that curious horses are less spooky. Tabasco doesn't really let anything get to him. He has his reactive moments but usually he will go up to the scary object and sniff it (or kill it- depending on the object).

The grass n the field is a seed mix called "Pasture grass". It's supposed to be for horses and has grass and clover for sure. I'm not sure what else was in it... the horses seem to love it tho! :)