Saturday, May 9, 2009

Pictures

I have some neat pictures of the horses to share as well as a couple of Sweeties owie.

As you can see Sweetie has a long line of stitches from her surgery. The vet has to come back out in 2 weeks to remove them. It is such a relief to see those sarcoids gone. She still has one on her belly towards her back legs but no cinches bother that so we're leaving it alone.

Sweetie was still kind of mad at us so we brought a peace offering when we went to do chores. I was lucky I got to man the camera while mom was mugged by horses! We ended up in the shelter with the big horses blocking the entrance begging for more carrots. Mom was trying to warn them that they were going to end up with belly aches but they wouldn't listen.




Wednesday was my day off and the weather was nice so I carried a saddle and bucket of brushes up to the round pen (yey!) and did some ground work with Shoni. I hung the saddle and pad over a couple of panels and haltered Shoni. I started brushing her and heard a weird noise and turned around. I see Sundance standing on the saddle pad pawing it!!! I chase him away, dust off the pad, and hang it back up. I go back to working one on one with Shoni. About five minutes later I hear a big clang and turn around to see that Sundance had gotten a hold of the bucket with the brushes and was rolling it around trying to eat brushes. I chase him away again, tie Shoni to a panel, and go retrieve the bucket and brushes.
Finally I got her brushed. I grabbed the blanket and started flapping it around in front of me while I led her behind me. I stopped and let her almost touch it with her nose and walked off again. The next time we stopped I let her touch it with her nose then put it on her back. Then I grabbed the saddle and plopped it on her back. I didn't really let her sniff it because I don't want her to think it's a big deal and since she has had it sitting on her back before. She was looking at me weird but was more curious than alarmed. I started cinching her up. I didn't do it tight since she has mud on her belly that wouldn't come off but enough were she could feel it and it wouldn't slide under her. I was very proud of her and think she did awesome especially for it being so windy that day.


We walked around a bit and she turned to sniff a stirrup a couple of times. We did some ground work with the lead rope around her legs and her back. She snoozed for a little while during the ground work, which I guess could be a good thing? Or maybe I am a boring teacher lol. We walked around a little more and I slapped on the saddle. Then I tied the lead rope around the horn to get some pictures while she nibbled at the little bit of grass coming up.
I took the saddle off and was brushing her some more and heard a big clang coming from a different direction. I turn around and see Tabasco trying to climb the panels! He had his two front feet on the same rung and his head was hanging over the gate. He's trying to give me a heart attack. I went over and scolded him and shooed him away. I showed mom the pictures and she chided me for teaching him how to do it. She said that he probably watches me when I climb over them and that's why I should use the gates instead. I guess... especially with the mustangs! They are too smart for their own good.

I finally finish with Shoni after all of the interruptions and decided to let Tabasco into the round pen. The first thing he does is go over and investigate the saddle. He was a good boy though and didn't try and eat it or kill it. I fed them their dinner and called it a day.
I love this picture of Tabasco and Sweetie- though I wish he'd quit sticking his head thru the panels...

1 comment:

Pony Girl said...

Great pictures, looks like Sweetie's wound will heal up. A tough area to deal with, you can't exactly bandage it there, eh?! Sounds like Shoni is handling the saddle well. It must be nice to have an easygoing horse like that to train!
I can't believe the pictures of Tabasco climbing the panels! He's going to get himself into some trouble one day, LOL! :)