This year for vacation we decided to go to Sturgis. We meaning Mom, Dad, and I. Mom and Dad have gone a couple of times but this was my first year going.
On Saturday night we took the three dogs and the cat to a boarding facility/Doggie Daycare so we wouldn't have to worry about them while we were gone. It was really hard leaving them and we called to check in a couple of times. : ) We took the truck and hooked up the camper. The camper is also a toy hauler so Mom and Dad loaded their Harley's in the back. We drove the 8 hours to the camp ground in Belle Fourche. The camp ground was really nice and quite. It had a large bathroom with about 10 shower stalls and 10 toilet stalls. They served free coffee in the mornings and they had a big greeter dog to love on while I was missing mine. We arrived Sunday night and unloaded the bikes. We ran and got a bite to eat then went back to the campground to rest up for the next day. Monday we spent the entire day in Sturgis. There was lots and LOTS of walking, shopping, and of course BIKES! People warned me about how rowdy it would be and about all of the nudity but it wasn't like that the day we were there (thank goodness!). It was pretty mellow and mostly older people around.
Monday night we rode the bikes to a bar called The Broken Spoke Saloon to see FOGHAT. It was a free concert and it was really good (didn't know too many of their songs though...). The bar had 3 floors, a balcony, and you drove your bike through the bar to get to the parking lot (weird but way cool!). They had a bike show before the concert where they were bragging about how loud a bike was and how fast it could go and they burned a rubber streak by the bar. Made it stink for a while too. Good thing the place was so open! The bar had great music, and pretty bar tenders dancing and serving drinks (reminded me of the Coyote Ugly movie), and the best part about the bar was the FLAME THROWERS!!! Tuesday we drove out to Deadwood and did more walking and shopping! lol There were tons of bikes in Deadwood too. We took a tour of the famous Adams House (I'll get to this in my next post). After we shopped till we dropped we went back to the camp ground and I tried on some of the Sturgis tank tops I got in Deadwood and found the size medium was a little too small. After a short nap we drove back to Deadwood and I was able to exchange my shirts for a bigger size.
I was trying to take pictures while we were driving and at one point the batteries died, so we stopped at a stop sign in the boonies so I could get the batteries out of mom's saddlebag. I got some good pictures of mom and dad too! : )
Next we drove back to The Broken Spoke Saloon for another concert, this time it was .38 SPECIAL! On the way to the bar we got stuck in stop and go traffic. Then it started pouring rain. Dad and I had our leather chaps and coats on and mom only had a hooded jacket and her chaps. There was no where to pull over to get out of the rain and traffic didn't stop enough to get her jacket. After about an hour in the freezing stinging rain we finally made it to the bar and found out we had to pay a cover charge. It was only $10 per person but we thought it was going to be another free concert. We paid the cover and got in. The concert rocked! I was also able to get a couple of videos of one of the flame jugglers(?) this night.
If you are ever in the area and want to check out a neat bar I highly recommend this one. It may be in the boonies but it has great entertainment. The main reason I love this bar though is that the owner came up on stage both nights offering to call a taxi for anyone too drunk to drive home and he would let you park your bike in the bar until the morning. He also offered to pay for your taxi if you couldn't afford it.
Wednesday we loaded the bikes back into the camper and headed back home. Three days was definitely long enough!! : )
1 comment:
What an awesome vacation!! Your parents are great. Why aren't there any pictures of you? A bar you can ride your bike through??
Post a Comment