Have I told you lately how much I hate panels?
Today was supposed to be a nice relaxing end to the weekend, but the universe had other plans.
Tabasco decided it would be a good idea to stick his head through the panels to either itch himself or try and get a better look at some grass sitting outside the pen.
I'm not sure if his head was too close to one of the vertical bars or he just didn't turn it enough, but his head got stuck. And he panicked. He started back pedaling and pulling the panel across his pen, then he lost his balance and fell.
After he fell he tried to get up and made it worse. He ended up with his head stuck in the panel, his neck stretched out, a front leg through the panel and the bottom of the panel over his butt. You could tell it was effecting his breathing and Mom said his eyes were starting to roll. Mom and Dad ended up unhooking the pins on each side of the panel and letting it fall towards Tabasco (we were still holding it so it didn't really fall). Tabasco was able to detangle his leg and head from the panel and roll back onto his feet. Luckily Tabasco remained calm once we were there and working on getting him released or it could have been bad for all of us.
I'm so thankful he is okay, I don't know what I would do without him.
3 comments:
That is scary. I'm really glad you were home and it turned out okay. I've heard of many panel accidents with a worse outcome. Scary stuff. I wonder if he learned his lesson about sticking his head through?
That is HORRIBLE!!! Beautiful sticks her head through panels, too, and it scares me to death--though she has never paniced and pulled back. I think I'll have to figure something out for her like wire along the panels or something.
NONE of my domestics stick their heads through like that. My horse, Cowboy, had his mother die by getting her head stuck in a feeder and pulling back--broke her neck. He had to be bottle fed from that point. Scary!!
I'm glad it turned out okay, and hopefully he learned and will NEVER do that again--horses have good memories.
That is one of those freak accidents you just never think will happen. Good to hear he is doing alright.
Post a Comment