Tuesday, September 25, 2012

I've been taking a (forced) break from the horses the past two weeks.

Back on September 9th I hopped up on Trib in the round pen bareback (same exact way I did last time with Mom holding onto the halter).  This time though he decided to fly backwards until his rump hit the round pen panels.  Then he stood there all stretched out with his butt in the air and he turned his head and looked at me like he was a little spooked.  Then he jolted forward and I was able to get him stopped.  I sat on him maybe a minute after he was stopped then hopped down.  I'm not sure what set him off unless it's a tied sort of thing since Mom was holding the halter?  I'm hoping to get a saddle and bridle for him soon so I have a little more to hang onto.

Still smiling even after that ride- I love this horse.













Three days after that incident, I was doing chores and decided to put a fly mask on Trib and fly spray him since the flies were so bad.  The rest of the herd was by Trib's pen so I decided to walk around and fly spray Pebbles too (she's the only other one who will stand for being sprayed).  As I was walking around Shoni to get to Pebbles, Sweetie pinned her ears and barred her teeth at Shoni.  Needless to say, Sweetie was on one side and I was on the other in a wrong place wrong time sort of thing and Shoni plowed right into me.  I'm not sure if Shoni ran into me with her shoulder or chest but she sent me flying and I woke up on the ground.  I went to the doctor and they said I had a concussion and gave me some muscle relaxants because I was having a lot of neck and back pain.  Apparently somewhere in all that Shoni stepped on my foot as well because the entire top of it was bruised.  The doctor said I couldn't do anything with the horses or any sort of exercise for a couple of weeks to give my brain time to heal.

After the incident any time I went up near the horses to do chores, Shoni wasn't herself.  She had an attitude and acted like she didn't want much of anything to do with us.  Last Thursday I was sick of the attitude and brought her into the round pen for some one on one time.  She did really well (for not being longed in a while and for not having any halter/lead rope on her) but you could tell she was still being sassy.  Finally she started licking her lips and softened up a bit.  Once she was a little more "normal" I sat and waited for her to come over to me since everything else has been me going up to her.  Once she did come over we ended on a good note and called it a day.













Today she was completely back to her normal sweet self.  I think the accident freaked her out a bit too and we really needed that one on one time.


2 comments:

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

I'd be taking a break from horses after all that too. I know about getting whiplash from being plowed down by a horse. When I'm in a group of horses I keep a close eye on the dominant mare. If she pins her ears and bares her teeth, everyone scatters. Half the time the horses are looking over their shoulders at her and don't even see me.

My other mare is getting really bad about kicking my gelding at feeding time, and despite disciplining her, I continue to hear that sickening thump every night when she nails him in the chest. The gelding never learns his lesson and keeps crowding her. At any rate, I won't go near her rear if he's standing behind her at feeding time.

Sorry about the concussion and foot. Heal soon.

nikki said...

Thanks NM! Sorry that you've been there done that too. I've had horses for 17 years and this was a first for me. Not as good of a story saying, "My horse ran me over." it was pretty embarrassing when people asked what happened... at least it wasn't a reindeer! ;)