Everyone is entitled to their own opinion on this and that but some horse people just baffle me. A lot of horse people that I have met in my life are stuffy people. They are so set in their ways or they make the big bucks showing their horses that you are beneath them and they have no time to interact with the likes of you. I've also noticed that a lot of these people only look at their horses as a business to earn them money. They have no emotional attachment to their horses. To them the horses are just a piece of property, like a car. Once the horse gets them where they need to be over the years and the horse wears out, these people throw them away. They don't care where they go or what happens to them. I don't understand how you can look and interact with these majestic creatures and still have that sort of mentality...
What started this rant:
I was out on google searching for other horse/mustang blogs and came across one website that was griping about people selling their horses on craigslist. She was complaining about an ad that was selling a grey 6 year old BLM mustang stallion for $1295. She said: "...who is stupid enough to pay $1295 for dogmeat that's still walking? It's much cheaper already in the can." This is a blogger who has a horse (or more) of her own. She looks at them like dogmeat? Then why does she have them? Or maybe it is just the over populated pesky mustangs that she looks at like dogmeat? Or maybe it's just the "fugly" horses (as she stated in the same post about another craigslist ad). In either case I think it is a crude remark and it ticked me off.
All I can say now is thank goodness for the nice caring horse people out there. The ones that rescue and take in these "unwanted" throw away horses and give them a loving home. The ones that take first time horse owners under their wings and teach them every thing that they know about having a horse. These same people that share their horse stories and experiences and love to hear about yours. The ones that know that a good horse can not be judged by what it looks like or what the breed is. That each horse has their own personality and when taught right their horse can become a partner.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Hi Nikki,
I love your blog. I'm glad your dog is Ok.
I agree with your rant about some horse people.
I started riding in 1963 or 64 and bought my first horse in 1970. He was a Exmoor pony type. The other people who boarded their horses at the same place were really snobby and looked down their noses at us. They were mostly into show jumping. It didn't take them long to see I was having way more fun than they were with their over priced over bred horses. Mine could jump too.
I've owned some very expensive horses over the years but the best fun I've ever had was my first one with the 'bad' legs.
I'm so excited about my Mustang. He's learning so fast and is incredibly intelligent. I really love him.
We still haven't decided what to do about his Mustang friend. I have a call into the BLM. They are both from the Beaty's Butte herd. I'm going to put some photo's of the little band of Beaty's Butte 2 yr old geldings on my blog. How do you get along with your 2 Mustangs?
Arlene.
Hi Nikki--I wanted to thank you for your suggestion about my mustang, Beautiful Girl. Your method with the PVC pipe reminds me of the Parelli carrot stick. But I had forgotten about it until I read your comment. It is an EXCELLENT idea. I also read your latest blog--and you're right. Unfortunately, there is a lot of mustang hate out there--I've met a few people myself, even have some as friends. I don't understand it--if you love horses--you should love all horses, you'd think. And personally, I have some well-bred horses, but Mustangs have them beat in many ways--feet, brains, and survival instinct in the mountains!! Anyway, I look forward to reading more of your blog, and thanks for helping me out with my latest baby. Linda
I'm a bit behind in my blog reading... I'm glad Missy is okay!
I think I can guess what blog you were reading. I don't bother giving her my attention. If she wants to be negative and pass it on to others, so be it I guess, but I don't have to participate.
I think the best thing we can do is train our horses to be exceptional and worthy of praise, and ignore the people who are too closed minded to see the truth. I've known more ill-behaved domestic horses than I have mustangs. But the naughty ones stand out. So we just have to make sure ours aren't the naughty ones. :)
I didn't realize that some 'horse' people hate mustangs. What creeps they must be.
Like I've said before I've had many horse over the years and the one I had the most fun with was the one who was the cheapest. I'm crippled right now because of a horse I owned who was bred only for the show ring. His sire was twice world champion and he was west coast champion at looking pretty in the show ring. He had no common sense and I was told by my vet and two trainers he was loco. I tried everything I could with him before I finally gave him away. So I really have no time for overbred horses or their owners. Snobs!
Arlene.
Post a Comment