Monday, August 25, 2008

What to do when the time comes...



I've had someone ask me recently what happens when a horse dies and what you do with the body- more specifically what I had done with Spider.

I know that some people call the rendering plant to pick up the body, others bury their horses in a field sometimes under a tree, and another option is cremation. I can't think of any others off the top of my head.

With Spider I decided to have him cremated because I couldn't bare the thought of him going to a rendering plant or being buried in the ground and possibly dug up at some point so my only option was cremation.

I hired a company called Pet Cremation Services in Colorado and they brought a truck out to the house to pick him up. I was out of my mind with grief that day and could not be outside when they came. Mom went out and made sure that he was treated with respect. She placed a blanket under Spider so that they did not drag his body on the ground. I don't know a lot of the details since I never saw his body and refused to go outside when the cremation people came, but I know that Mom made sure he was treated with care.

We went to the cremation facility an hour or so after they picked up Spider to make sure he was still being treated with dignity and to pick out his urn. I still could not go and see his body so Mom and Dad went back to see that he was put into the chamber since I was worried I wouldn't get MY horse back but maybe someone elses. They have two metal tags with matching numbers one is put in with the body and the other you keep. This is so you know that it's your horse that you are getting back.
I picked out a wooden urn that had to be ordered and also picked out a necklace that the ashes can be put into. I talked with the guy who owned the cremation services at some point and discussed putting a horse shoe on the urn. To my surprise he went and bought me a horse shoe, some heavy glue, and adhesive that he placed on the back of the shoe to put on Spider's urn (he had this all ready for us to pick up when the wooden urn came in. I will never forget his kindness to go out and buy those things for me and for saying such nice words to console me in my grief. The people were very caring and understanding and they even had a dog in the office who looked at me with her sad eyes and laid her head on my leg to console me.

The following day Dad went and picked Spider up from the cremation place. His ashes were placed in a silver urn that to me resembled a trash can. I didn't like that at all and was glad that I ordered the wooden urn. Spider got to ride shotgun in dads car wearing a seat belt then he was hauled upstairs to my room. His urn is very heavy so I picked a spot and set it down.

A couple of weeks later the wooden urn comes in and mom takes Spider back to the cremation place to have them place the ashes in the new urn. Mom said that the ashes are in a plastic bag and they just pulled it out and put it into the new urn. The new one is more sturdy and is actually screwed shut from the bottom so no one can mess with his ashes.
I'm glad that I chose cremation for Spider and I will do the same for my other critters when they pass. Then when I die they will all be buried or cremated with me.
Above: I had an award/engraver company make me a sign that has a horses head (looks kind of like Spider), Spider's name written in script, and the Arabian Proverb: "The wind of heaven is that which blows between a horses ears."

5 comments:

Callie said...

Very nice dedication to your Spider. Very nice way to keep him close. I'm curious as to how much the cremation cost in total, though.

Grey Horse Matters said...

We have had two horses and a dog cremated and they also have wooden boxes(urns). I think it's a better idea than just burying them or sending them to a rendering plant. This way I always know where they are and can keep them close.
This post was a great memorial to a special horse.

Linda said...

That's interesting. I've only had one horse die--last year--of a bad colic. My husand cut off his tail for me and I'm going to send it to a woman to braid for me into a bracelet. Not that many people do custom horse hair braiding--they have to clean it, etc.--but I found a woman on the internet. I'm just nervous about actually sending it off--I have it all measured and ready to go--something about fear it will be lost.

nikki said...

Hi Callie, thank you for your comment. The total was around $1,500 that includes the actual cremation, the necklace, the urn and I believe the cost to pick Spider up from the house. Well worth it though and with the necklace he is with me where ever I go.

Grey horse matters, thank you for your comment as well. It's nice to know that I am not the only one who chooses cremation (I get some weird looks when people find out Spider was cremated). Isn't it funny how heavy the urns can be? We also have a german shepherd that was cremated and she was around 125 lbs and her urn is pretty heavy.

Linda, I love the idea of having something made from horse hair. Spider's tail was also cut (though at the time I didn't want it to be) and I too am terrified to send it off to someone and trust that I get MY horses hair back. Is the gal your talking about someone local where you could see her in person? Do you have her website? Maybe you can cut some thinner sections of tail from some of your current horses and send them off and see what you get back.

Cheryl Ann said...

That is a beautiful way to remember your horse. I think we will do that with ours. We have our second German Shepherd in a box in our bedroom. I SWEAR, every now and then, I see him out of the corner of my eye!