Sunday, June 14, 2009

Results


The vet was here and took out Sweeties stitches. He liked the way it healed up but thinks one of the sarcoids will come back. He asked if we still have the Xterra cream and told me to watch the area and to use the cream if the sarcoid starts to come back. Does anyone else have any experience with Xterra? It makes me nervous to use it because it is supposed to be so strong and may leave a hole where the sarcoid was.
He had to sedate Sweetie in order to remove the stitches and the poor thing was pretty out of it. She weebled... and then she wobbled... but she stood strong and slept it off. It was pretty funny listening to her snoring but I was glad when she started waking up and wanting to graze.


Once he was done with Sweetie I asked if he wouldn't mind taking a look at Shoni since he was here. I explained the sores and we went into the pen. He took a look at a couple of the spots and suggested getting some Betadine from the store and cleaning them with that (Shoni now has 4 different sores). He thinks they might be a reaction to a sting from a yellow jacket. So I will try the Betadine and see if that makes a difference. At least it is nothing bad or contagious. Whew.


In the picture above you can see one of the newer sores below the BLM brand

The vet was asking me how I was liking my current job. I told him that it pays the bills but that I don't see myself there long term. He asked me what I thought about veterinary medicine and told me that I should go to school for a couple of years so that I can take over when he retires. His comment made my day! That was my dream job growing up but now that I'm older I think I would have a hard time with some of the things a vet has to do. Too bad he wouldn't have offered me a job as a vet tech so I could go on farm calls with him and work in the office. It would be much closer to home and I would LOVE my job.

2 comments:

Pony Girl said...

My horse has been under Xxterra sarcoid treatment since early spring. It has worked, but for some reason the sarcoid keeps coming back! So this last time I treated it for 7 days, until it was bleeding and icky. Now, I let it heal then we'll see what we've got in a week or two. I think the vet will have to come back out and do a biopsy and a different course of treatment. Did Sweeties have a pretty big bump that was removed by the vet? If my horse's bump comes back, she will biopsy it, then I am assuming we will try an injection or maybe have it removed. Unfortunately it's on his face near the halter/bridle area which is not good. I just hope it goes away, but I've heard that sarcoids can be pretty persistent and you can end up chasing them in circles. I hope Sweetie heals up well and that Shoni's sores go away, too. My sister would love to help out a vet, that is her dream job! :)

photogchic said...

I was going to recomment talking with Pony Girl...but she tracked you down! I think Equine Vet tech would be fantastic! Go for it.