Dr Lang came out today to look at the growth in Sweetie's ear. He was pretty disappointed when he saw it and how irritated/raw it is.
He confirmed that it is indeed another sarcoid.
Above: you can see the swollen lump on the outside of her ear
Below: shows the growth on the inside of the ear
Below: Cropped photo of the growth (red area) inside the ear
Dr Lang had a few different options to try.
- The first would be to attempt to surgically remove the sarcoid. This would be difficult because of the location and lack of extra skin to stitch it up.
- Option number two is to surgically remove the ear.
- Behind door number three is Xxterra. Xxterra is a cream that we would apply to the sarcoid daily for four days. We would then watch it for 10-20 days. After that time, if needed, we would repeat the process.
The Xxterra appears to be the best option at this time but I think I will be contacting the vets in Colorado who created the product to ask for advise before we actually use it. On the bottle it says, "Note: If sarcoid is located by cartilage in ear, a hole could occur." This made me nervous with the sarcoids on her head because they were close to the ear (which is why we had those surgically removed instead) but this sarcoid is actually inside her ear. I would hate to leave her with a gaping hole, but I'm sure it's better than any of these other options.
4 comments:
You may remember on my blog that I had to deal with a sarcoid on My Boy, near the halter side-ring, last year. I used Xxterra (several times) and it appeared to finally whip the thing. Hair is growing back, but there is a bare patch/scar I think. No bump has returned, I pray it doesn't! The Xterra really oozed and got gross while it did it's thing, I am thinking that on the ear, that might be nasty because it could drip pus and goo into the ear, causing more irritation for your mare. Hmm.....removing the ear seems drastic though. IHas the sarcoid been biopsied, I can't remember? This way, you would really know what you are dealing with. Is it red and gooey just because? My Boy's bump was just a dry, hard bump, no blood or goo, until the Xxterra was applied. If a bump is not infected or oozing or irritating (or growing bigger) I think most vets would just leave it be until it becomes a problem. Sometimes, you can make a small problem worse by trying to treat it when it's just "cosmetic." I think because My Boy's sarcoid was near his eye, she wanted to get it taken care of.
Sorry for the long comment, I should have just sent you an email! :)
I have Sarcoidosis. I have internal sarcoid granulomas throughout my body. They effect my muscles and joints the worst. I'm not sure if it's anything like what horses get but humans take low dose chemo drugs to suppress the immune system and prednisone which is a steroid. I wonder if the cream you have is a steroid cream. Just a thought. I hope she'll be OK.
Poor Sweetie..that looks "ouchie." Hope the Xxterra works. How runny is it? Will it get down in the ear and cause more harm than good?
Oh my--that is bad. I'm glad Pony Girl commented--I was following her sarcoid story a few months ago--she'd know a lot about it. I know nothing about them except I hope they NEVER show up on any of my horses. Good luck.
Post a Comment