Surprise! Dad found this lovely nest in some lilac bushes that line the driveway.
From what I've been able to find online, it sounds like it's a paper wasp nest. The detail and the size are amazing (I forget how many inches it is... I know it's over 8 inches from top to bottom)! It's hard to believe we never spotted it before. Then again there were leaves and flowers protecting it.
I'm just glad nobody was home when I took that picture.
3 comments:
Yep, definitely a wasp nest. We used to have so many of those all around our house--in the eaves, trees, umbrellas...we had a wasp problem. Your pictures shed a different light on them though and make them look beautiful.
That's fascinating. I haven't seen one like that before. The wasps in our area make honeycombs that can fit in the palm of your hand.
Linda- The wasp nests are more enjoyable when the wasps aren't home. ;) I don't think I would have been as impressed with the nest otherwise.
NM- In CO we had the yellow jackets who made the honeycombs. Those were nasty wasps- very ornery. This is the first time I've seen a paper wasp nest. It's amazing with how big it is and the designs in it. I'm not sure how agressive the paper wasp is. We mowed near this bush during the summer and never noticed any wasps or had any trouble with them.
Post a Comment