Saturday, July 5, 2008

First Saddles and a VIDEO?!

Today was a good day (wind and all).

While Tabasco and Shoshoni were eating their breakfast I decided that it was time to see how they would react to a saddle.

I brought it out and sat it on the panels and both of them came over and sniffed it. Then I grabbed it and was walking it over to them to try and get them to sniff it again. They were somewhat wide eyed about the new scary object but they were troopers and hung in there.


Since they were reacting so well to it I thought I would see if I would be able to get the saddle on their backs and have it sit there, but first I had to grab some twine and tie up the stirrups and loose leathers so it didn't tickle them or spook them (I didn't want it to be a bad first experience).


I rubbed it on Tabasco first and he eye-balled it a little bit but when he stood there like a good boy I backed off (pressure and release!). I lifted it over his back and semi sat it down and watched his reaction. Not a peep.

Ok Shoni's turn. I walked over to her and she perked her ears up. She was unsure of the saddle so I went slow and got her to sniffed it. I clucked (clicker training). Then I took a step back. She took another step forward to sniff it again. She touches the saddle with her nose, I cluck then take a step back. Wow that's not so bad huh? So she goes back to eating and I approach her from the side. I rub her with the saddle, she twitches and when she doesn't move I take a step back. She turns to look at me and sniff the saddle. I cluck (am I starting to sound like a clucking chicken?!). Then I start rubbing the saddle higher up so it is brushing over her back where it will sit. Not a peep so I set it down. Still no reation. YEY!





Ok time to go back to Tabasco. I rub him with the saddle again then lay it on his back. Nothing. I step back to get a picture and he tries to turn around to sniff it. I have to rush forward so the saddle doesn't fall on the ground since the stirrups were not down and the saddle was off balance. That didn't faze him either.





I'm so proud of these two. They are both so brave and even with all of the wind the saddle did not bother them like I was worried it would. Maybe tomorrow or next weekend I will try and cinch it and let the stirrups dangle?




Here is a video that I took with my camera that I had no idea I was taking (I thought I was taking a picture lol) and it is only 3 seconds long! I tried to upload videos from my camcorder but apparently I'm not doing something right or blogger is having technical issues. Same with the photos, I was only able to upload the two before I gave up. I'll try for a better video one of these days! : )

2 comments:

arlene said...

Well done! In the video I can see how windy it is. They really like you and trust you don't they?

I'm as not as far long as I should be with my horse because I can only walk a little bit on uneven ground without crutches. I'm going to start leading him with my husbands help soon. When did you start leading yours and how did it go?

nikki said...

I earned their trust when I used the bamboo pole to pet them and removed their halters (they were getting too tight). When they figured out I wasn't going to eat them it was night and day difference (especially with Tabasco who was very flighty and unsure before he trusted me).

As far as leading I used a rope halter and long lead rope on them (better for teching them pressure and release) and I put them in a smaller pen so if they ran I could stop them. I took the rope and pulled until they moved a foot then I immediately put slack in the rope.

Tabasco caught on to leading quickly but I got cocky and took him in the bigger pen and something spooked him and he took off. I tried to hang onto the rope. Don't use a cotten rope. There is actually a really nice brand at the stock yards and the rope is heavy duty. It's usually white, brown, or black and it has a leather end to one side and a loop or hook on the other side. I LOVE these ropes because you don't get rope burn. I'll try and get a picture for you.

The rest of halter training my babies I had to have a trainer do (in 2007). It was getting close to time for shots and Tabasco's gelding so I had to have a trainer finish them. He used to be a great trainer (we used him before) but now he is the "cowboy" trainer and he hates mustangs. Would have been nice to know that before I dropped them off with this guy... Tabasco did good with him and came out of the situation unfazed but Shoni (who is very sensitive) came out untrusting and jumpy. I am just now getting that jumpyness (just from being touched) out of her.

I would suggest just working with Wildairo with pressure and release in a small pen and then work your way up. A good way to get them to unplant their feet (from experience) is to not pull straight but to step to the side and turn their head. It knocks their balance off so they HAVE to take a step and as soon as they do you release the rope (just make sure you keep the preasure on the rope until they move). :) Then working him at a lounge so he gets used to circling instead of running (good for gaining control if he spooks while leading).