Friday, January 2, 2009

Another visit from the vet

Tuesday after work Mom and I went out to feed the horses. Of course it's pitch black by the time we even get home and it's hard to see anything even with a flashlight until your eyes adjust. I was in the babies pen and noticed something was off with Tabasco's walk.


I asked Mom to shine the flashlight on his leg and there was a 6 inch gash on the front of his back right leg. There was a section of fur and skin hanging below the wound. The wound itself was not gushing blood but it did look pretty nasty. We're not sure how he hurt it and can only guess that he some how caught it on a panel or running out of the shelter.


I called the vet that night and made an appointment for the following morning.
The vet got to the house around 8:30 Wednesday morning and took a look at Tabasco. Tabasco stood there like a trooper and let him touch and look at the leg. The vet had to walk back down to his truck to get some ointment and items to wrap his leg. When he came back in the pen Tabasco was a brat and wouldn't let him any where near him or his leg. Long story short the vet gave me the ointment to put on his leg and hid in the shelter until I was done.
Once everything was done he had 'the talk' with me. He said, "I don't know how much you love this horse or what he is worth to you... or if you are planning on riding him but because of where he hit his leg there is a possibility he could have hurt the bone or caused a bone chip." He recommended contacting a vet an hour and a half away and getting an xray of his leg.
I contacted a vet in Elbow Lake and according to people that my mom works with they are the best for horses. I have an appointment later today at 2:00.
Now we just have to dig the horses and the trailer out of the snow.... wish us luck.

3 comments:

Andrea -Mustang Saga said...

Boy, what a run of bad luck! I hope the x-rays show nothing major wrong and he heals up nicely for you.

Grey Horse Matters said...

Good luck with the vet and the x-rays. Most of the time it usually looks worse than it is.

arlene said...

I hope every thing is OK with Tabasco. I had a vet once tell me my horse had to be put down and another vet saved him. Good luck!