Well brown sugar and oats help anyway....
On 12/20 Sundance had a swollen sheath so we had the vet come out to see what was going on. He sedated him and did the sheath cleaning. In all the years that we've had horses we have never had to have this done. The vet said that some geldings hardly ever need it while others have to be cleaned at least once every 6 months.
Once the vet was finished he gave us some antibiotics to give him for a week. He suggested crushing the pills and mixing them with water, brown sugar, and oats. We did this and down the hatch they went.
I guess a spoon full of sugar really does help the medicine go down... who knew?
2 comments:
What a handsome boy! The few times I've had to give Bandit antibiotics, he always gets them crushed with molasses in a syringe. He always opens wide :). I hope he feels better soon!
Yep, I know a lot of people who regularly clean their horse's sheaths, but I must admit, I don't and luckily haven't had a problem. I used to do the antibiotics in the grain, wish I'd known about the brown sugar and oats! Now I give it as a shot--mostly because I can buy it at the store without a vet visit to get the SMZs--much cheaper.
Post a Comment