Monday, January 5, 2009

Vets... part 3


I called the vet on my morning break at work today and he said Tabasco came through the surgery great and they were just waiting for him to come out of the anaesthesia. He told me that they removed THREE bone chips from his leg.

I called a second time after lunch to make sure he came out of the anaesthesia okay and to see if Mom and I could drive up and visit around 7:00 tonight. The vet said Tabasco was doing great and is behaving himself nicely and that he would leave the barn door unlocked for me.

We drove the hour and a half to the vet and sure enough the door was unlocked and we were able to visit with Tabasco. *Note to self* Next time you plan to visit the vets barn at night find out where the light switch is...

Tabasco was laying down in his stall when we walked in and was craning his neck trying to see who was there without getting up. Once he saw it was us he stood up and came over to say hello. We gave him lots of love and scratches from everyone and told him that we miss him at home and how lost Shoni is.

He was alert and perky and seemed glad to see us.

His leg cast looks like it may have been "nibbled" on (do they make those cone lamp shades for horses?) but he looks really good. I feel relieved after seeing him but I am definitely ready to have him come home!

I'm planning on visiting Tabasco again Thursday during the day since I am off. Hopefully I can get some better pictures. I was able to get a few tonight but it was so dark in the barn that the screen on my digital camera showed all black. Mom and I poked around for a light switch but there were a few different ones and we didn't want to flip the wrong thing on!!!





7 comments:

arlene said...

He's behaving really well considering he's not used to barns. He's a lovely horse. I bet he was so pleased to see you. Too bad horses don't wag their tails when their happy because his would have been wagging like crazy.

Linda said...

Wow--I just caught up with all of this--what a couple of days!! I'm so happy things are going well--it sounds like he'll be perfectly sound now and live a long happy life!!

Andrea -Mustang Saga said...

What an ordeal! I bet you've been worrying about him and missing him a lot. It's REALLY hard to leave horses in the hospital, even knowing they're going to be well taken care of.

I'm glad everything went well, and I'll be looking forward to pictures of him home and happy!

Kara said...

Sounds like Tabasco's prospects are good. I'm glad he came through the surgery okay. Silly geldings. They should be more careful with themselves.

Grey Horse Matters said...

I'm happy to hear he came through the surgery with flying colors. After this let's hope he's more careful with himself. He'll be home before you know it.

photogchic said...

Just catching up...so great to hear this has a positive outcome. Does he have to be on stall rest?

Kara said...

Any more news?