Thursday, January 22, 2009

Vets... the conclusion!

We were planning on picking up Tabasco over the weekend but when I talked to the vet he wanted to wait until Monday so he could be there when we picked him up. I couldn't do it on Monday since I had to work and I didn't want to try and switch my day off for that one due to the short notice, so we picked him up this morning.
We left the house around 8:00 and drove the hour and a half to the vets. It was so beautiful out with the frost on the trees and the sunrise. I am really looking forward to spring and daylight savings time. It feels like I never see the sun any more so today was a treat.





We finally pull into the parking lot at the vets and I went in the office to pay the bill and dad drove around the side of the building to hook up the trailer that we had left there. The vet came out and talked to me and gave me instructions and medication to put on his leg. The vet tech at the front desk told me she would meet me outside and help get Tabasco ready.
By the time I got in the barn with Tabasco's blanket the tech was already in the stall with him brushing him. She asked me a few questions about him being a mustang and I happily answered her questions and told her that if she ever decided to adopt that I would help enable her! She told me that everyone fell in love with Tabasco and that he was a very good boy. She helped me get the 78" blanket on him (the smallest the stores had) and he swims in it. Next came trailer loading. At home Tabasco loaded like he's done it all his life- at the vets? Not so much. I tried, Dad tried, we put a lead rope behind his butt, bribery with oats didn't even work. Then came the vet tech with a broom. She tickled the blanket covering Tabasco's butt with it- his eyes got as wide as dinner plates and in he went.
We drove back home and backed the trailer down the driveway. I got out and stood on the ledge outside of the trailer and talked with Tabasco. The other four horses were standing long necked and perky eared looking at the trailer. Tabasco was eyeballing them for a while then gave out a long shrill whinny, to which he got four similar responses.









Dad got him off of the trailer and lead him to his pen and took off the lead rope. Shoni slowly went over to investigate her "new" pen mate then started harassing him and chasing/following him around the pen. He ended up running up on a snow bank with her behind him and they both sank down in the deep snow. Uffda. Of course once they are excited it's hard to catch them again too. Luckily we had left the halter on and Tabasco is fairly sensible. He let me put the lead rope back on him. Then we locked him the the paneled shelter to relax and let Shoni sniff him through the gate. I'm a little worried about his leg and am going to check with some people for physical therapy exercises that I can do with him. It seemed like it was kind of bothering him after the trailer ride then again after all of that running and both times he rested his leg on the ankle instead of the hoof for a minute or two. He still has the bandage on his leg and I am supposed to take it off in a week to 10 days depending on how yucky it gets. The vet said there is a gash an inch or two thick and about 5 inches long that is open and I will need to put a powder on it once a day until it heals.









It would have been 3 weeks tomorrow since we left Tabasco at the vet and 3 weeks Monday since his surgery. I'm so happy to have my boy back home!!!


7 comments:

Kara said...

Yay, he's home! He looks so funny in that huge blanket! I bet Shoni was picking on him because he looked so funny!

Grey Horse Matters said...

I'll bet everyone is glad he's home. Hope he heals quickly, I'm sure he loves his new blanket, even if it is a little big.

Andrea -Mustang Saga said...

Wow, what a long time to have him gone! I'm glad he's home now, and I bet he is too.

arlene said...

My vet keeps a broom near his loading area to wave it about at horses if they have trouble getting in their trailers to go home. He had to wave it at Foxsun once. I wonder why they want to stay at the vets?

Rising Rainbow said...

I'm sure he must be glad to be home. Hope the wound heals without incident.

I can't believe all that snow you have in your pictures. I think maybe I should be ashamed of myself for complaining about the little bit we've had to tolerate. LOL

Linda said...

I'm so happy he's home. It sounds like you have your work cut out for you with the wound and rehab. Did the vet anticipate that the trailer ride would aggravate the foot? I'm wondering if a little bute or something would help if he doesn't start to put his weight solidly on it.

nikki said...

Sorry for the late response and thank you all for your support/comments with Tabasco's ordeal!

Kara, I think that was why Shoni was picking on him too. That and the fact that he smelled funny!

GHM, we are all very happy that he's home. We definitely missed him. I was shocked he didn't even bat an eye with the blanket. It's his first time seeing one let alone wearing it.

Andrea, it was a really long time but I'm glad that the vet was willing to let him heal instead of pushing him out the door. I'm definitely happy he's home tho. He was happy when he looked out the trailer and saw the other horses. I love horse whinneys!

Arlene, I never thought of the broom thing before but it did work like a charm! I think Tabasco wanted to stay at the vets so he can be in a heated stall and get pampered by all the vet techs! :)

RR, yea I'm ready for the snow to melt! I'm NOT so ready for the mud I know we'll have. This is my first winter up north and the snow was not the worst part. I had a hard time getting used to the 40 belows! We're having a heat wave in the teens now so I can't complain. :)

Linda, his leg seems to be doing better now. I think the trailer ride just temporarily aggravated it. I have not seen him rest his foot at the ankle since that day (thank goodness!).