Thursday, January 15, 2009

vets...update



Sorry for the delay but I finally have the update and pictures of Tabasco! Dad and I went to visit Tabasco at the vets last Thursday. There wasn't anyone at the barn when we got there so we went inside and loved on Tabasco. Eventually a different vet showed up and gave Dad a brush to pamper him with. He looks really good and is getting around great. He seemed happy to see us but after a while he started being a brat and ended up trying to bite the back of my leg and he immediately got swatted for his efforts. Then he went in the corner and pouted and looked at me from the corner of his eye. A minute or two after that he inched over and tried to ham it up- like he was saying sorry. Butthead.



I called the vet on Monday to see how his leg is doing and find out when he can come HOME! The vet said he is a great patient and that he had unwrapped the leg that day. He said the stitches are holding up good and the leg looks great. I asked when he would be able to come home and he thinks maybe this weekend if the weather holds up and his leg is still looking good. I am supposed to call back tomorrow and see what he says. Then I have to try and find a blanket for Tabasco for the trailer ride home, the only problem is that we have been having 40 below weather and all of the horse stores near by are either sold out of blankets or the ones they have are too large. I wouldn't mind getting a bigger blanket for a temporary thing but when he comes home he may have to be blanketed the rest of winter since he has been in a heated barn the last 10 days.



See the excited look on Tabasco's face in the above photo? This is the look he gets when you sit down and he realizes he's bigger than you and is going to pick on you!

On a side note... I went out this afternoon to let dogs out and there was Sweetie. I am still not used to having the horses home and it is a nice surprise to walk outside and have a horse (or two) standing there saying hello.





...and poor Shoni is at the top of the hill in her paneled pen all by her lonesome since she likes to jump fences and her buddy still isn't home yet. This time of year she looks like a black horse instead of a blue roan. I can't wait until spring when they shed their winter coats and everything turns green! I'm sick of looking at all of the snow.
Speaking of Shoni and nice spring like weather this weekend (it's supposed to be in the upper 30's!) I managed to snag myself a surcingle and a cheap breast collar and am hoping to be able to try it on Shoni and get going on a training regiment. Anyone have any fun ground training/saddle starting tips, suggestions, websites to recommend?

7 comments:

Kara said...

Great to hear that Tabasco is going to come home soon!

Regarding training...my favorite video series is Clinton Anderson's "Starting Under Saddle". It is so thorough...I used a lot of his methods with my own horses and I've never trained a horse before. I'd say they were successful. I went a lot slower than he does in the videos, and I've incorporated other things I've learned over the years, but if you are starting from scratch, his methods are great. You can choose how "forceful" you are though, as that would be my main complaint with his methods. The "directness" he uses works with some horses, but others (like my Catlow) have to be worked with much more slowly and patiently. The series is super expensive, though...I got mine on ebay.

I've been posting my experience training Catlow on my blog. Check it out if you are interested.

Grey Horse Matters said...

Glad to hear that Tabasco is doing well and may be able to come home soon. Wow, you're really in the low temps, we've hit single digits but I hear it will warm up in a few days.
Sweetie looks so sweet, we have a horse by the same name. I think we're all waiting for some Spring and are sick of the white landscapes.
If you really need a blanket for Tabasco, why not order one from a catalog and have it shipped two day, it would be there in a few days.

Linda said...

Yeah, you'll probably need a blanket now. That's good thinking on your part. I agree about ordering it 2 day, but that puts you at around Monday-Tuesday. Could you borrow a blanket until then?

photogchic said...

Great news girl. About training...I am with Kara about Clinton Anderson's videos....I couldn't have done it without both his help and the Parelli's. Email me if you have any specific questions photogchic@hotmail.com If you can get your hands on some on those dvds from Ebay...they will really get you going in the right direction. Good luck.

Andrea -Mustang Saga said...

I'm glad he's doing well! I didn't realize he was going to be there for so long.

arlene said...

Tabasco sounds like a very very cheeky boy. I bet he loves the heated stable. My boys should be so lucky!

Tracey said...

Nikki, I've got an award waiting for you! After all you and Tabasco have been through lately, you definitely deserve it!

And I'd definitely keep the boy blanketed now until things begin to warm up.